Reflect on your understanding by working through these review questions.
- What principles and ideas about knowledge underpin the use of structured instruments?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of interviews compared with self-completed questionnaires?
- How do telephone interviews differ from face to face interviews?
- How do email and web-based questionnaires differ and what are their advantages over postal surveys?
- What should you tell potential respondents when you first approach them (a) for an interview and (b) when asking them to complete and return a questionnaire?
- What can you do to ensure that a structured interview goes well?
- What can you do to encourage a good response rate to a self-completion questionnaire survey?