Reflect on your understanding by working through these review questions.
- When is a case study the best research design and what are its disadvantages?
- What is the best design for establishing a causal relationship and why?
- What is the best design for establishing how commonly something occurs in a population and why?
- How can you avoid threats to the validity of conclusions drawn from experimental research?
- What are the characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of longitudinal studies?
- What designs are available for evaluating the effectiveness of interventions designed to improve people’s lives?
- Does choice of research design determine whether qualitative or quantitative data should be collected?