Reflect on your understanding by working through these review questions.
- What are the major points of difference in narrative and IPA work?
- What kinds of question can narrative analysis answer?
- What is the difference between a holistic and a thematic narrative analysis?
- Why is it important to include the social and interactional context in an analysis of narratives produced in dialogue?
- What are the main principles of phenomenology?
- How does phenomenology inform the practice of IPA research?
- What understanding of the role played by the researcher in influencing the account provided by the informant is evident in narrative and IPA approaches?
- Describe the stages of data analysis in IPA research.
- Write a research question that would suit either a narrative analysis or an IPA approach and give three reasons why this would be your preferred methodology, compared with the alternative.