Reflect on your understanding by working through these review questions.
- Describe the difference between inductive and deductive coding.
- What is the zigzag approach and how does it differ from framework analysis?
- Define open coding and in vivo coding.
- How can (a) spider diagrams and (b) concept maps help in analysing qualitative data?
- What relationship do categories have to codes and to themes?
- Describe the characteristics of a list format, a career and a typology.
- What are the arguments for and against member validation and inter-rater reliability exercises?
- What are coding stripes, metadata and Boolean searches?