Reflect on your understanding by working through these review questions.
- What is secondary analysis?
- In what ways is the secondary analysis of qualitative and quantitative data similar? How do they differ?
- What is a derived variable?
- Why might knowledge of context be important in analysing qualitative data? In what circumstances is it not important?
- What are the key considerations to be addressed when analysing (a) archived quantitative data and (b) archived qualitative data?
- What are the arguments in favour of the secondary analysis of data?
- What are the limitations of official statistics and how can researchers use official statistics?