Reflect on your understanding by working through these review questions.
- What is the difference between validity, reliability and replicability?
- Outline different ways of improving (a) measurement validity, (b) internal validity, and (c) external validity.
- Describe what is meant by each of the following terms: credibility, transferability, dependability and confirmability. How do they differ from more scientific conceptions of reliability and validity?
- How can triangulation and searching for negative instance help improve the quality of qualitative research?
- What is authenticity and how might it be achieved in a research study?
- How are epistemological positions linked to different views of quality in research?